Saturday, September 2, 2006

Visit from an old friend


For those of you who haven't heard the story: Becky and the girls went outside about a month ago to play on the swings. Becky returned, quite disturbed and asked me to come outside. When I arrived, she pointed out the head of an opossum. And it was f-r-e-s-h meat. Yeah.

Well, our backyard is surrounded by a 6' fence - and I wanted to know how the head got here with no body! I searched for a while and looked on the street side of the fence, but couldn't find anything. On the way in the house, I saw it: The freshly killed and eaten body of this adult opossum. For the longest time, we were really freaked - how did this happen? Who did it?

Dad Storholt gave us a good idea - and when I searched the "crime scene" closer, I located the breast feather of a hawk. Since that day - we have identified two Coopers Hawks that seem to live across the street in a 100 year old pine.

Click here to see the rest of the pictures. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment