Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Couch Lou Holtz

The keynote speaker at today's general session was Coach Lou Holtz. A few stats about the legend: Lou Holtz coached Notre Dame to a national football title in 1988. He was a 2-time Coach of the Year (1977,88). He retired after the 1996 season with a 216-95-7 record in 27 seasons with 5 schools— Wm. & Mary (3 years), N.C. State (4), Arkansas (7), Minnesota (2) and ND (11).

Wins, Losses, and Lessons LPWins, Losses, and Lessons LP

He never took over a winning team - and in every case, was playing at a bowl game within 2 seasons. He was a fantastic speaker that was funny, polished, quick witted, and poignant. Here are a few of my favorite one liners from today:

• "Behind every successful man is a surprised mother-in-law."
• "The true key to happiness is a bad memory."
• "I'm the only guy I know who has written more books then I have read."
• "I don't pray for my wife any more, I pray to her. She's a saint!"
• Referring to marriage: "Opposites attract, then they attack."

What made the biggest impact on me during his 60 minute speech was this summation:

"There are only three questions that everyone wants to know about you: Can I trust you? Are you committed to excellence? Do you genuinely care about me?

If you genuinely care about someone, the only way to show it is by the little things. Lift them up, share in their lives, share yours.

Do you want to know who genuinely cares about you? Ask yourself this question: 'If I don't make it back home or back to work – who will truly miss me?' Your answer will be people to whom you have made yourself an asset to. By being trusting, committed to excellence, and genuinely caring about them."

-Coach Lou Holtz

2 comments:

  1. Boom - that's really cool about coach making a list of 100 things to accomplish. I had Patrick do this last year but he didn't get very far in even writing them down. Maybe now he'll be more inspired.

    And Patrick - to answer the question - you are the biggest asset in my life!!!! Glad you are having a great time - you deserve every second!!! Love - Beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaine....Boom.

    Buddy! Miss you like I miss baseball!

    You're obviously having a blast. My only question is what happened to the $10 on Black 22???

    By the way, did you know that Lou Holtz made a list of 100 things he wants to accomplish before he sinks in to the big sleep? When he accomplished the 1st 100, he took out pen and paper and put another 100 things down.

    You can attest to the power of goal setting with your unbelievable year. Coach will just back that up.

    Boom

    ReplyDelete